A MOSQUE will not open in Chipping Norton after its landlord received a threat that it would be burnt to the ground.
The town’s Muslim community had been celebrating after they won permission to open the permanent home on Monday. But their 79-year-old landlord Georg Wissinter has received a threatening phone call and pulled out of the deal.
He said: “Someone rang up and said if you go ahead with the mosque then it will get very hot. They were saying they would burn it down.
“I have got people in the flat above [the proposed mosque]. I cannot take the risk.”
Mr Wissinter said he had only received one phone call but word of mouth around the town suggested the sentiment was more widespread. He said: “There is more than one person.”